"After a very long, leisurely breakfast, (which was quite a drawn out affair consisting of a over toasted bagel and too strong coffee) he arose and went to the closet for his greatcoat and silver-handled walking stick."
- A random creative scribble that popped into my head one day.
Monolog on the creation of my sentance and my internal editor here. Don't laugh.
The tavern was lively as usual as a dark cloaked figure drifted inside and unnoticed to a table in the back farther away from the merry commotion. Glancing around he saw the usual occurrences. Sailors, soldiers alike squandering their leave and wages. Old friends greeting each other. The exchanging of business transfers, the telling of tales, playing of card games, a drunken sailor warbling of key with his shipmates.The usual telling of daring-do and far-fetched stories flowed around him as he settled himself.
“So there was this two-legged, one eyed dog…. “
“And so here I was out in my boat reeling in the …”
“ I tell yah this sea creature… it was huge! At least as tall as the palace spire! Maybe twice as high…!”
Smiling darkly inside his hood, the man quietly lit his pipe and began to smoke it slowly blending into the shadows and atmosphere of the room. He had no hope that this tavern would produce any information useful more than the other cafés and taverns he visited in his quest.
And then, almost as if the sounds of the room had been muted, there was silence.
A squad of soldiers tromped into the room, boisterously calling out to the host for mead and the barmaid. His eyes narrowed as he recognized the crest on their tunics.
Perhaps tonight might be one of higher expectations after all......Be sure to check back at Whisperings of the Pen for more great snippets every month


4 comments:
Hi Lilly! I really like your snippet. It gives the tang of salt to the air even though I'm miles away from any ocean. Your pen has a real descriptive edge!
Splendid snippets. I like the first one particularly cause I like the words drawn out affair and I like great coats and silver handled walking sticks. I also like the sense it gives that the day will be interesting.
These are great snippets, Lilly. I love how the second one comes alive. You write with wonderful atmosphere.
Thanks for joining Snippets of Story!
Cool! I love the bit about the "silver handed walking stick". :)
-The Dandy Lioness
Post a Comment